What is The Human Race?
The Human Race is our new signature peer-to-peer fundraising campaign.
It’s open to people of all ages and abilities. The campaign challenges participants to run, roll, walk or swim 26km during March to represent the fact that Red Cross is committed to the resilience and wellbeing of all 26 million people living in Australia.
You have the option to determine a different target distance, or approach, based on your ability or preference. You can ask your network to sponsor you to complete the challenge, and raise funds to support Red Cross so we can be there for people facing crisis or hardship.
How can I get involved and make a difference?
Supporting The Human Race is easy. You can:
What will the funds I raise go to?
Your donation helps Red Cross deliver its vital humanitarian services. For example, it can help give safety to a family fleeing conflict overseas. Opportunity to someone starting a new life in Australia. Friendship to keep elderly people feeling connected and valued. Hands-on help to people facing disaster in Australia. It can help Red Cross give people facing conflict, disaster and isolation somewhere safe to turn.
How much do I have to raise?
There isn't a set minimum amount you have to raise to take part, however we ask our challenge participants to do their best to raise as much as possible. The more money we can raise together, the more support Red Cross can give to people going through tough times around Australia and overseas.
Is there a physical race?
The Human Race is is a virtual challenge for the entire month of March. The location, start and finish is up to you! You can choose your activity and commit to completing the 26km, your way. Why not create a team or gather a group in your local community and choose a day to race together?
When can I do my challenge?
The official month for The Human Race is March, however if you’re unable to commit to March, you can do your race any time during the year.
Does it cost anything to take part?
There is no cost to register.
How can I create a team?
You can click on the below link to register and create a team.
Is there a team I can join?
You can join The Human Racers, which is open to anyone and everyone participating in The Human Race. Can't wait to see you there!
When should I log my kms?
You can start logging your kms any time! However, if you'd rather wait until 1st of March but are training in the meantime you can log your training kms as a blog post on your fundraising page.
How do I share my fundraising page on Instagram?
To share on Instagram, simply copy and paste your fundraising page URL to your Instagram bio link and save. Now when you post updates about your Charge with your friends on Instagram you can direct them to your bio link. This will easily take them direct to your page to support you!
Is there a hashtag I can use?
Yes! Please use the hashtag #thehumanrace on your socials posts - we'd love to see and share your progress and updates.
How can I get my workplace involved?
Research indicates that increased physical activity at work can reduce stress, absenteeism, lead to happier, healthier, more satisfied staff and improved productivity.
The Human Race is a great way to create a healthy team environment amongst your colleagues.
Make it a friendly competition to see who can clock up 26kms the fastest or reach 26kms together.
Simply create a team and set your staff a challenge for this March. Create a team now!
How can I get my school/university involved?
Simply create a team and set a team challenge this March. You can commit to running 26km as fast as you can in a team relay on the school oval or focus your PE lessons for the month of March on achieving 26km each day for swimming, running, walking, riding or rowing on the erg machine.
It’s best to appoint a Team Captain to register your team. Once you’ve registered, share your fundraising page with your networks through the school newsletter, social media channels and the local media outlets. Create a team now!
I’m from a Red Cross branch. How can I get involved?
We’d love for you to participate! Please get in touch with the team at email@example.com or call 1800 733 276 so we can best help you get involved.
How can I deposit money raised?
- Bank deposit – to deposit your funds into our account please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll happily provide instructions and details.
- Cheque or money order – Please send cheques/money orders made payable to ‘Australian Red Cross’ to Australian Red Cross, Community Fundraising, GPO Box 2957, Melbourne VIC 3001.
- Credit card online – Use your credit card to return funds collected at your event through your fundraising dashboard. Log in to your dashboard and first click on the ‘My Donations’ button. From there you will see a red button ‘Add Offline Donation’ which will allow you to make one lump sum payment or individual payments received from donors at your event. Please note, if you are making individual payments on behalf of your donors, you will be required to enter in their contact details so they can be issued with a tax receipt accordingly. Tax receipts are for donations only. Please see below for more information on tax receipts.
- Encourage your donors to donate directly to your online fundraising page – share the link to your online fundraising page via email and social media to everyone attending your event. Once they visit your page, tell them to click on the red ‘Donate’ button. Donors can pay directly to your page, leave messages of support and will automatically receive a tax receipt for their donation.
- Donations of $2 and over may be tax deductible.
If your supporters request a tax receipt, please use the Receipt Request Form available on the website under ‘Tools & downloads’ and return it to us along with your cheque, money order or your bank deposit receipt. This form cannot be used for any payments made via your online fundraising page by credit card (see point C above, for instructions on how you can make credit card payments for donations collected at your event).
If donors would like to make an online donation, they can do this directly through your online fundraising page and will be issued an automatic tax receipt.
If you do not have an online fundraising page or have forgotten the details, please contact our team on 1800 733 276 for assistance.
Are donations tax-deductible?
Yes, all donations of $2 or more are tax deductible.
Are there any prizes or rewards for fundraising this year?
You betcha! You can check out some of our prizes up for grabs here.
How can I connect my fitness app with my fundraising page?
Your profile page includes your personal distance tally so you can track your distance towards your target. This is a great way to keep your friends updated on your workouts!
If you track your workouts with Fitbit or Strava Garmin your distances will automatically add to your tally.
Follow these steps to track your KMs automatically:
- Download the Fitbit or Strava app and set up your account
- Log in to your fundraising dashboard
- Under the heading Connect your preferred Fitness app, click your chosen app.
- Follow the prompts to connect your account
- When you next work out, select start your workout in the app on your phone. Once you end your workout, save your workout and your distance will be published to the tally on your page the following day.
If you have synced your app already but it is not working, please log in and re-connect it.
Fitbit: You must start an activity and save it. If no activity is logged, then your cumulative activity will sync at the end of the day. If you are having issues, try syncing through BOTH your Fitbit and the Fitbit app on your smartphone.
Strava: You must start your workout, stop your workout and then SAVE your workout.
Your tally will be updated each day with the previous day’s distances.
I don’t have a fitness app, can I still track my kms?
You can manually add your fitness tracking. Log in to your dashboard, there will be a My Fitness Activity Tab. On this page, you can either connect up your fitness apps, or manually add activity. Simply fill in the details within Add Activity and then save. Your added activities will appear above listed out with the details you’ve input.